Wednesday 7 April 2010

Contact Report - Reply to Questionnaire - Box Creative

Again i have received a reply from Box Creative in response to my questionnaire.
Below are the answers:

1. When we hire, we look for specific abilities which we need more help in. If it is in print design, we will look for a strong understanding of typography, photoshop, vector illustration ability, and a good understanding of prepress. When seeking developers, we look to see innovation in their work and a great knowledge of when and where to use certain developments and technologies.

2. I look for an undeniable passion for design and/or creativity. This usually is very bright in people. I always see this quality in interns, as their efforts are almost stripped of financial agenda. When I see this passion in seasoned professionals, it comes with a portfolio filled with personal projects that highlight their client work. We all know that client work is usually driven by tons of outside opinion and clients with no design training, so it is good to see the pure creativity of personal work. You can see the 'actual person' in it and their consistent style. In addition, I think being culturally savvy is a good characteristic in creative professionals. It seems to go hand-in-hand and is nice to add culture into a shop. Overall, it is best to be yourself as most people can spot a phony. Although interviews can be nerve-wrecking, it is better to be "cool" than business-like in my opinion.

3. I look at a person's work and am not even interested in past jobs or educations. I feel the the person's experience is to better them and ultimately builds their portfolio. Their portfolio is where I find all the answers, not a diploma or letter of recommendation. I feel some of the best people in the industry are just out of college. Lots of people freelance out of school. It is a great way to learn every facet of the industry on your own but certainly can get you jaded. Working at a design firm at the bottom level can also create jaded professionals. I guess what I am saying is that I even prefer less work experience. After-all, I am hiring creatives, not an VP.

4. Personally, by obsessing myself with trends, styles, cultures, and technology, I quickly come up with what I feel is the best solution. If you can clearly visualize different options and the way ideas can be presented or received, then running with an idea comes easily. We brainstorm together and throw out ideas but the good stuff usually comes from an individual's intuition and presents itself when least expected. For example, when plenty of ideas have been thrown around and the team has began production, new ideas and ultimately better ones surface when being hands-on. A good design firm should have a comfortable atmosphere to allow "playing jazz" with their creations. They should be able to evolve at any time and not require approval for every little detail by a client. Clients should appreciate the team's abilities and will take your word for it most of the time.

I am also extremely grateful that Andrew Weitzel, from Box Creative, New York had the time to reply to my email.

No comments: