Friday 20 November 2009

Prime Studio Inc, NYC. Portfolio Visit.

After arriving in New York n the Monday, i had previously arranged to meet with the creative director of Prime Studio Inc. As new York is such a big place we decided to stay in pairs when walking around on our own and visiting company, so i paired up with Michele Mckee.
We had already wrote down the address and directions on how to get there before leaving England, so we left the hostel nice and early to give us extra time in case we got lost. With the building only being a few blocks away from our hostel we decided to walk as it would be quicker and easier than getting a taxi or using the subway. We found the building easily and told the man working on the reception who we were going to see and he then told us what floor we needed and what studio number. Being on the 11th floor this was unusual to us as we don't normally have tall offices and buildings this high in Stockport. We arrived on the floor and found the door leading to studio 1101.

We knocked on the door and Erin answered and invited us in. The studio was fairly large and spacious, unfortunately most of the staff were out on a meeting so there was only Erin and another designer in at the time of our visit. Erin offered us both a glass of water and we sat down at the table with our portfolio's. I showed my portfolio 1st and she had very positive comments towards it. She was impressed with the way my portfolio was laid out, she said over in New York a lot of people don't present there work in boxes and it was a nice changed for her to look at.
She was very helpful on tips in ways which to improve the presentation of my portfolio, she suggested to photograph certain pieces of work instead of using the live surface applications on photoshop. I agreed with this as this had been my main aim to do but i had ran out of time before my visit to New York. She also suggested that i changed the lay out of the page where i was showing my homemade typeface out of twigs, if i made the letters bigger, it would be more noticeable that they were made from actual twigs. The only negative comment she suggested was that some of my pages were pixelated, i agreed with this as i had noticed this after printing it out but had no time to re-do it before new york. I will taking every comment that Erin said into consideration and making those changes to my portfolio to improve the presentation towards it.

After i had shown mine, Michele then had her turn. Again she was very nice and made a few suggestions to improve the presetation towards it.

Once we had shown our portfolio's Erin went on to show what work the company had been doing recently and how they got to the final ideas. I was impressed with the work they had created it was very inspiring.

After we had talked for a while, we then said our goodbye's and left the studio. I had previously made some little booklets, showing some of my work and my contact details, i then gave one to erin for her to keep and we left.

I am really please that the visit went well and she liked my work and was very positive about it.

No comments: