Wednesday 29 April 2009

One Day Brief 21/4/2009

Species Of Spaces

1. Environment
2. Read the 2 pieces of writing attached (Georges w, species of spaces and Baker, Nicholson, the mezzanine)
3. Return to college and write up your findings.
On a4. Typeface Zurich Roman. 9 point with 13 point leading. 600-1000 words. Do not edit. Put your name and environment on the paper.
4. check you have followed the above instructions correctly
5. hand in your printed copy by 4pm.

After choosing a location at random i picked out : The Pricinct. (shopping area in stockport)

My final piece:

Stockport Precinct

Sat on a bench outside Topshop in Stockport. Its 21/04/2009,11.21am and its boiling! Glad of a bit of sun though to be honest fed up of the rain. Its very noisy here, lots of people rushing past. Big bags full of shopping. There doesn’t seem to be many kids around, probably because the school holidays are over and they’ve all gone back to school. Thank god there’s nothing worse than kids running around making noise when you’re trying to shop! There’s some strange people walking around and I think people get dressed in the dark because there dress sense is awful. Ha a guy has just come over and asked me if I’ve had any injuries in the last couple of months…i'm here sat with my arm in plaster!!

A strange man has just sat down next to me and he smells, its actually knocking me sick. He’s wearing a Kilt; I’m guessing he’s Scottish, or maybe just a weirdo ha-ha. Ok now he’s talking to himself and muttered strange sounds, I think they might be words but he’s just jumbling them all up. Looking around I think Stockport could be made a bit prettier, the shops all seem so boring and all look exactly the same apart from the different names on the outside and the clothes they sell inside. I do like how there’s no cars allowed to drive through. There is a bad but about Stockport though, it’s the amount of little scrubbers and scally's that hang around near the bus station and outside shops, there’s just no need for them. Ew a pigeon has just landed on the bench to the left of me. I really hope it doesn’t come near me I don’t like them. Vermin. I can hear the birds tweeting, I quite like it reminds me of it being summer and everyone being happy. I do like it when it’s sunny as everyone seem to be a lot happier.

After walking around I have in fact noticed that quite a lot of the shops that are here now have changed their signage recently. Everywhere seems a lot more modern that a few years ago, I think that this makes the place feel a whole lot nicer. The paving slabs on the floor could be laid down so they are more even, a old lady has just nearly tripped up on one that was uneven and sticking up. I feel an insurance claim maybe be appropriate here, ha. I wonder how many people have actually hurt them self’s in Stockport from just walking around doing there everyday shopping? That’s a question to ask your self…

I have changed locations now; I am no longer on a bench I am now sat on a fence that goes around some plant pots opposite Boots. Again the strange man wearing the kilt has found me and keeps staring at me. I am getting a little scared of him now. The parking meters here must make so much money, there is like 10 car parks around the shops and they all charge atleast £1.50 for up to 2hours! I bet there loaded. It’s starting to get a little chilly now and i'm getting hungry, I think Gregg’s is in order. A man has just spat n the floor in front of me when he was walking past, that s disgusting. There are many different alleyways and streets leading off from the precinct. They all contain shops too, and cafes and hairdressers. In the sky you can see the big clock, on top of the multi-storey car park, I don’t think it’s actually told the right time for a good few years. Still handy to have a big clock in the sky though.

No comments: